Thursday, November 13, 2003

Weather: Rare kind of day -- actual autumn conditions. Just a bite of cold in the air, warming midday -- a bit hazy from these stupid dorks burning their slash etc. I know it's legal and cutomary, but it's been shown to be destructive and unwise since the 1930's.

Something I've shoulda done earlier -- WILDLIFE REPORT!
Almost every day there's something worthy of mention.
Yesterday, I was crossing the street by the local NBC station. A cameraman was shooting some clown in a bear costume. What neither of them noticed was a bald eagle soaring about 50 feet above the street. I wouldn't have seen it in my car, but I was on foot, waiting for the "walk" sign, and had a moment to look up.
My house is next to Middle Foy's Lake and the ice is melted with the nice weather. The Canadian Geese are congregating in various flocks there as they migrate. They perch on the edges of the gathering ice, and swim where there's water.
Sometimes there are hundreds of them honking away and feeding. They'll fly off and then more hundreds will gather again.
Two days ago a bald eagle swept down and took a duck from Middle Foy's Lake. I'll tell you, the waterfowl sure fled the place while that was going on! The place was full by sunset, though.
We have a herd of deer in the neighborhood too. Since no one can fire a gun around the houses, they are safe from hunters. I usually see does and fawns every morning on my way to work in the gray morning light.
After dark, I've learned to watch for the critters, because they'll cross the road without a look.
More people are killed every year in deer/auto collisions then were killed in the last 50 years by sharks worldwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment