Thursday, September 15, 2005

Wildlife: It was so dark earlier in the week the deer must have thought it was twilight all the time. I saw a mama and her very large, still-spotty fawn twice in twelve hours. There was a big single female running alongside me for awhile when I was driving to work the other morning too.



Visit: Michael's Montana Web Archive
Theater, Art, Flash Gordon, Funky Music and MORE!

Weather: The sky finally lifted on Tuesday, and Wednesday was very pleasant. Those might be rain clouds building up today.

Charity Alert: The Hunger Site Click to help feed people -- no obligation.

Media watch: Make It Funky on VH1, with some of my favorite New Orleans musicians -- especially Allen Toussaint. It was recorded in New Orleans before the disaster, but they had intervening spots requesting donations, instead of commercials. Toussaint spoke on one of them, so I hope that means he's out of there and OK.
Cast: John F. Cleary -- Host with a bright red nose -- makeup, lights, or Mr. Cleary may have a problem there; The Dirty Dozen Brass Band -- Extraordinarily Funky; The Neville Brothers -- Almost TOO Funky; Arthur Neville -- Keyboards (Original Meters); Ian Neville -- Guitar (Arthur's son); Aaron Neville -- Master Falsetto Vocalist; Ivan Neville -- Sax and Vocals; Bonnie Raitt -- Singer/Slide Guitarist; Keith Richards -- Guitarist & VERY BAD Vocals; Allen Toussaint -- Piano, Vocals, Great Songwriting; Irma Thomas -- Major Studio Singer; Lloyd Price -- 50's Hit Singer; Funky Meters -- VERY Funky indeed! George Porter, Jr. -- Bass (One of the original Meters too); Snooks Eaglin -- Polyrhythmic Guitarist; Walter "Wolfman" Washington -- Phat, Greasy, Ass-kickin' Guitarist.
Keith Richards is kind of endearing when he sings, but frankly he's terrible at it. I must say he's better than he was fifteen years ago, but compared to his guitar playing, his vocal prowess is more suited to the campfire than the stage. I WOULDN'T have chosen to end the show with his croaky version of Fats Domino's I'm Ready (Willing and Able to Rock N' Roll All Night.)
Hey! Here are some words from my friend, ex-P-Funk drummer Gabe Gonzales, about George Clinton's new CD:
Got Damniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!
They got me again,diggin the new P-Funk All Star cd for the new direction.I also hear my drumwork SAMPLED on the loop half of Somn'Stank with the pitbull growling,that spanking beat is yours truly.BTW been listening to me play the whole gig from 95'NYC & 96 Central Park. Damn,Dr.Funk open yo ears & listen to that shit with all due respect it ain't Frank or Ron I forgot it was I until I recently took a closer listen. Pretty impressive tempos & music direction for then! Plus I was grooving and enjoying the Funk without giving a damn that I was in the hotseat! George was actually having a mad muthafunking blast,especially on songs like "just say ding".

No comments:

Post a Comment