Thursday, September 06, 2007

Moving SUX! I was at it until after 11 PM last night. Now I have to unpack my life from the various boxes.

Sitemeter Sez: Visitors from Ciudad Nezahualcyotl, Mexico; Ogden, Utah; New York, New York; Amsterdam, Noord-Holland (looking for Magpie Music/Dance); Someone from MySpace got an eyeful of Ringmistress Philomena; Another MySpacer was greeted by Bettie Page.

Remembering my friend George-O at: Theater X-Net




Starring: Ida Rubinstein Belle Epoch Russian/Parisian beauty.
Ida's Places in Paris -- from my first jet-lagged day by the Seine.
Read more about Ida in Sisters of Salome by Toni Bentley




Visit: Michael's Montana Web Archive
Theater, Art, Flash Gordon, Funky Music and MORE!
Spitfires of the Spaceways
UPDATED! Wilma Deering & Dale Arden to the rescue; Bodacious Princess Aura I; Hapless Aura II; The fiery Emperor Ming; The Orson Welles Rumor Debunked; and BOTH incarnations of Jean Rogers!
Read my latest Spitfires in Context essay.

Thanks to Jim Keefe (Visit his Website) -- the LAST Flash Gordon illustrator of the 20th Century, and Flash's first illustrator of the 21st, for his recommendations -- HERE!

Charity Alert: Keep that resolution to click on The Hunger Site every day.

In The Community: I got a glimpse of that movie about Inuit (Eskimo) Art we are showing next month, in conjunction with the Hockaday Museum of Art -- EX-cellent!

Ch - ch - changes: Luciano Pavarotti just died at the age of 71 -- the greatest operatic tenor of the late 20th Century. Not counting the inhuman histrionics that a tenor is required to do, Pavarotti delivered a beautiful sound when he sang that nobody else could duplicate. I believe it's called Belle Canto -- singing pretty.


Here's a particularly expressive version of Giaccamo Puccini's Nessun Dorma: Link to YouTube video of Nessun Dorma.
The late maestro's last performance was at the Winter Olympics in 2006, and he sang Puccini's painfully beautiful melody again: Link to YouTube video of Torino 2006

No-one shall sleep (Nessun dorma)

No-one shall sleep! (Nessun dorma!)
No-one shall sleep! (Nessun dorma!)
You too, oh Princess, (Tu pure, o Principessa,)
In your cold room, watch the stars (Nella tua fredda stanza guardi le stelle,)
Trembling with love and hope! (Che tremano d'amore e di speranza!)

But my secret lies hidden within me,
(Ma il mio mistero è chiuso in me,)
No-one shall discover my name! (Il nome mio nessun saprà!)
Oh no, I will only reveal it on your lips (No, no, sulla tua bocca lo dirò,)
When daylight shines forth! (Quando la luce splenderà!)

And my kiss shall break (Ed il mio bacio scioglierà)
The silence that makes you mine! (Il silenzio che ti fa mio!)

[Choir:]
No-one shall discover her name! (Il nome suo nessun saprà!)
And we will, alas, have to die, to die! (E noi dovrem ahimè morir, morir!)

Depart, oh night! (Dilegua o notte!)
Set, you stars! (Tramontate, stelle!)
Set, you stars! (Tramontate, stelle!)
At dawn I shall win! (All' alba vincerò!)
I shall win! I shall win! (Vincerò! Vincerò!)

No comments:

Post a Comment