Thursday, April 03, 2008

Adapted from my Daily Kos post: This speech was not considered news in my home town. The strike was covered on Huntley-Brinkley and Walter Cronkite, though.
We didn't hear any of these words until after Dr. King was shot.
There were no riots, but there was a lot of sadness in our white-bread community, and many youth, like myself at the time, became a step more radicalized against the old ways that were killing our leaders and ourselves.

Robert Kennedy came to town a few weeks later, and helped raise our spirits -- at least we weren't going to have to cope with that stupid war once he was elected.
On my high school graduation night he died too.

Spring of sixty-eight sure stank!

40 years later, there is one quote from that year I don't mind sharing, from MLK's commemoration of W.E.B. DuBois in February:
"The spirit of freedom is not buried in the grave of the valiant..."

No comments:

Post a Comment