Wednesday, October 01, 2003

I started this morning reviewing a C-Span segment shot in Bozeman, Montana at MSU.
(Montana State University) The C-Span School Bus will be in Montana for three more days, and my department will tape each cablecast. I work at Flathead Valley Community College here in Kalispell, Montana, and a certain percentatge of our students finish their degrees there in Bozeman, so I was interested in what they had to say.
Besides C-Span's moderator, Montana's two U.S. senators were taking questions: Conrad Burns(R) and Max Baccus(D).
One student chilled my blood when he stated that "There's no differece between Republicans and Democrats." he tried to make a point about "working together," but that boy was deficient in observation and memory skills, if he truly holds that belief in a political climate that getting more polarized every day.
The issue of Race was discussed -- Montana is overwhelmingly "White," outside of the Native American Reservations, but the students seemed to expect diversity on any college campus -- including their own.
My observation was that they expected conformity as well. I wonder if they'd recognize an actual condition of diversity if they were exposed to one?

No comments:

Post a Comment