Tuesday, October 07, 2003

What happened yesterday? Welllll -- let me tell you.
The weather started changing and we had delightfully scattered rain showers all over the mountains and valley by Tuesday morning. The local paper had a front-page shot of McDonald Lake, in nearby Glacier National Park, hazy with wildfire smoke, so they must have gone to press before the precipitation started.
Here's a link to their site (BTW, the photo isn't there, but I thought it was about time to introduce the local cagebottom.)
http://www.dailyinterlake.com/

I had a delightfully restful evening after work, for a change.
I watched Laurence Olivier's "Henry V" on television -- the various sets and locations impressed me.
There was a sequence in the Globe Theatre where the rain fell during the performance -- EX-cellent!
There were some outdoor horse-riding sequences with stuntmen in jousting armor.
Sir Larry did his "Once more into the breach..." speech mounted on a horse in a soundstage, on a fake beach with obviously painted backgrounds behind the big fake rocks that made up the wings. Those forced-perpective sets were really something in that film. I'll be damned if they weren't done to mimic mideavel manuscript paintings.
There was a too-serious air to much of the movie that made it seem tedious to me.
Why I kept watching was ROBERT NEWTON -- he played a put-upon fool named "Pistol," and he was worth watching every second! His speeches had those same mugs and twitches that made Long John Silver so interesting.
In case yahr' missed it, matey, here's a link to more about this fabulous actor:
www.mooncove.com/newton

Today (Tuesday) at the college is one of those days when faculty makes last-minute requests.
I'll write about work after I get some of it done!

No comments:

Post a Comment