Friday, November 21, 2003

Weather: A real winter snow. About a foot at my house, and 4 to 8 inches on my SLOW drive in to work.

Wildlife: I was greeted by a whitetail fawn as I got to my driveway yesterday. The little creature was grazing, and didn't seem to mind me opening the garage and parking the car.

Charity Alert: The Rainforest Site: Help Save Our Rainforests!

Media Watch: Peter Jennings did a long program on ABC last night about the Kennedy assassination. I believe -- no I am sure, that the truth was buried with the president. By that I mean that a lot of evidence about the real events and circumstances, whatever they were, "got lost," or were destroyed in the aftermath of the crime -- by incompetents, or people who "didn't want to look bad."
One thing that Jennings did that was laudable was refute the most preposterous depiction/fictions in Oliver Stone's movie JFK. That thing was functionally as much a fantasy as Stone's much-earlier movie The Hand.

Forty Years Ago: Yes, I remember where I was when Kennedy was assassinated -- 8th grade at Jackson Junior High School in Salt Lake City. The rest of my memories of the aftermath are shared by tens, hundreds, thousands, and millions of others.
Here's a Kennedy memory that I doubt anyone has read:
President Kennedy visited Salt Lake City one morning in October 1963. His motorcade took the main route into Salt Lake from the airport about two blocks from Jackson Junior High. About sixty students, including me, were lucky enough to have teachers who indulged our curiosity and walked with us to a spot where we could see him driving by.
This "spot" happened to be a freeway underpass -- there were plenty of places to stand and watch.
Kennedy's open car slowed down, he stood up and waved to all of us, with that famous grin on his face.
He was a very handsome man -- the black & white pictures from the time never did him justice -- they were often shot from below and made him look pudgier than he was. I can testify to the magic of his gaze and presence -- even at ten miles an hour.
We walked back to the school and heard the broadcast of his inconsequential speech from the Mormon Tabernacle over the P.A. By 1 PM of that day the president was back on his plane and flying elsewhere.
Other memories of the time: The military bugler goofed up "Taps" at the president's funeral. No one's ever mentioned it that I can remember. Paul Harvey was smugly dismissing Kennedy's tenure on his radio show within a week -- free speech, for sure, but I'd never liked him before, and I respected him even less after that -- Oliver Stone is not the first to fantasize history and politics under the guise of entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment