Sunday, June 05, 2005

Wildlife: I spotted Blue Herons, Crows, Vultures, Eagles, and Hawks from the van on the way to Jackson and West Yellowstone.



Visit: A Tale of Two Movies

Weather: The rain stopped after Flathead Lake. The blue skies charged in and drove away those low gray clouds, so driving conditions were pleasant all the way to Jackson, Wyoming. Thunderstorms rumbled after dark, but I didn't see rain again until I came back to Montana. I HAD to get gas, but huge forks of lightning were striking the ground to the north.
Just my luck that one of them would choose to hit as soon as I opened my fuel tank.
I heard no thunder, so I hoped they were too far away to hear, loaded up, and left.

Charity Alert: The Hunger Site Always a good use of our clicks.

In The Community: Why am I writing about Yellowstone and the Tetons?
I am on the road, gathering six more paintings by Winold Reiss for our grand opening this Thursday, June 9, 2005 at the Hockaday Museum of Art. The Hockaday Museum's Web Site
The first work was almost too big for the rental van, but we slid it in without any trouble.

Media Watch: Sirius satellite radio in the rental van. The signal doesn't break up in narrow canyons, so that's good:
Channel 13: All Elvis Presley performances -- broadcast from Graceland, no less.
(There should be an all-comedy channel on one side or the other of this absurd station, but no, there isn't. If a "Rat Pack" channel existed, I wouldn't tell anybody about it either.)
Channel 53: Soul Music -- Sirius proclaimed "A Philly Weekend," but played very few "Philly" tunes outside of the major "Philly" hits, so I became skeptical.
Channel 54: Black Gospel Music -- Good on a Sunday.
Channel 6: 60's Music
Channel 7: 70's Music
Channel 8: 80's Music
(Detecting a trend?)
Channel 5: Yep, some 50's Music, but lots of radio hits from other decades.
(Some programmer on Sirius likes Jackie Wilson -- good for them!)
Channel 154: BBC World Service -- a very old friend.
Channel 30: REGGAE! Big ups to this.
The Jazz channels were VERY "square." There are a group of lousy talk-radio channels, with more to come, unfortunately -- they were touting future shows by Howard Stern and Martha Stewart.
Besides the horrible potty-mouthed right-wing extremists, there was a channel supposedly geared to the "left," but I think the announcer was a double agent.
"I don't suck!" she said, then immediately played a cringingly awful novelty record, while singing along here and there with a terrible off-key voice. That was enough for me.
"You're wrong, lady!" I said, as I punched the button.

No comments:

Post a Comment