Monday, February 11, 2008

No widespread ill effects from the rain-over-snow weather. The main roads are evaporating and draining.

Sitemeter Sez: Layton, Utah (looking for Lisa of the Disco Drippers band -- check http://theatrex.net); New York, New York; Montreal, Canada; Bologna, Italy and Rochester, New York.

ROCK against Reaganomics at: Theater X-Net




Starring: Ida Rubinstein Belle Epoch Russian/Parisian beauty.
Ida's Places in Paris -- from my first jet-lagged day by the Seine.
Read more about Ida in Sisters of Salome by Toni Bentley




Visit: Michael's Montana Web Archive
Theater, Art, Flash Gordon, Funky Music and MORE!
NEW --Launching NOW! Outre Space Cinema -- Featuring: 1930's Rocketry, Spitfires of the Spaceways and Cellulose to Celluloid, Flash Gordon in the Saturday Matinees and Sunday Comics!





Thanks to Jim Keefe (Visit his Website) -- the LAST Flash Gordon illustrator of the 20th Century, and Flash's first illustrator of the 21st, for his recommendations -- HERE!

Charity Alert: Keep that Resolution to click on The Hunger Site every day. Also check into Terra Sigilata blog -- donate $$$ to cancer patients just by clicking onto the site.

In The Community: My friends Virginia and Rockie showed up at the Hockaday Museum of Art. Welcome by! All students in the valley are FREE this year too, thanks to Pacific Steel & Recycling.
Check out Fall for Glacier too -- a fundraiser for several programs that make Glacier National Park even better!

Media Watch: America's Best Dance Crew -- an MTV show produced by Randy Jackson of American Idol and hosted by shoulda-been Dancing With The Stars champ Mario Lopez. Street dancers on many levels of professionalism -- generally energetic and entertaining. What is best about the show is that it reflects a true popular phenomenon from the last two generations which deserves national exposure.
Montana PBS played a couple of hours of music featuring guitarist Ralph Towner, composer of Icarus, on Sunday afternoon. It was a coincidence, but a beautiful one, since I raved about the song earlier on this blog!

Garage Sale Booty: The FIRST album by the Moody Blues -- Magnificent Moodies, an English Decca vinyl from 1965. Drummer Grahme Edge, flutist Ray Collins, and pianist Mike Pinder are in the group, along with lead singer Denny Laine and bassist Clint Warwick. The 1964 single Go Now, written by Americans Larry Banks and Milton Bennett, outshines everything else but there are four songs by Pinder, and a Gershwin tune sung by Thomas. John Lodge and Justin Hayward replaced Laine and Warwick by 1967 and the group created an astonishing flood of original material. Hayward's magnificent Nights In White Satin was a radio hit where I grew up, but it took awhile for the Moody Blues to really catch on with the American public. Justin Hayward wrote another nice single called Leave This Man Alone which was played on AM Radio the same winter that Nights made it's rounds, but was forgotten somehow. Lodge's Ride My See Saw and their adventurous albums helped make them VERY popular by late 1968. It's a ludicrous mistake that they're not in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame yet, while the Dave Clark Five got in ahead of them this year. Both groups have been eligible for awhile. The DC5 enjoyed a short, but successful career, but never made the kind of waves that the Moody Blues did -- creating a whole new form of Rock Music and making albums which generated long-term sales that led to the domination of LP records and FM radio as the 70's began.


An amalgamation of slipcovers on this Moody Blues single from 1967
Inset: (L to R) Lodge, Hayward, Thomas, Pinder, and Edge covering-over a gig shot of Laine and Warwick. That's Pinder, Thomas and Edge onstage.

Young girls with long faces
Come to me at night and stay the night
Why am I so lonely?
Tell me is it right? Is it right?
Leave them, leave them, leave them
Leave those things alone
Leave them, leave them, leave them
Leave those things alone

Someone said I loved you
But I can't think where
I can't think where
You know so much about me
So don't stand and stare
Stand and stare
Leave me, leave me, leave me
Leave my mind alone
Leave me, leave me, leave me
Leave this man alone

Someone said I loved you
But I can't think where
I can't think where
You know so much about me
So don't stand and stare
Stand and stare
Leave me, leave me, leave me
Leave my mind alone
Leave me, leave me, leave me
Leave this man alone

Ah, ah, leave this man alone
Ah, ah, leave this man alone

No comments:

Post a Comment